Learning new libraries without tutorials

Hi everyone. I wanna ask how to learn Processing libraries without tutorials ?
I want to learn sound libraries but there isn’t any tutorials about them. Also, I want to learn Geomerative library.

Hi,

For sound tutorials, just a quick search on internet and you have this :

And also this pdf looks really nice :

http://responsivedesign.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/tutorial-06_processing-soundmapping2.pdf

Also the SoundCipher library that I didn’t know :

http://explodingart.com/soundcipher/index.html

For the geomerative library, you can take a look at the examples on the GitHub page :

Remember that you have everything online, if there’s no tutorials, just read the documentation to see function and methods definitions! :wink:

1 Like

I found all of this, but I couldn’t get any benefit from them…

@yhlaskerimov Amon Owed has created a number of tutorials eg Geomerative but you need to join creative applications network to view them.

If i join to that, will it help me ? Can i learn full geomerative library ?

Will it deserve for that 20$ ?
In our country visa card doesn’t work, that’s why it is very hard to pay that…
If we want to pay, we have to find person from another country to pay for us.

Could you please elaborate? Do you have a project to achieve? What are your problems? What is missing from the above tutorials?

I am kind of in the same boat. I started on processing 2 and it seems like my “File” -> “Examples…” is mostly broken for the libraries I downloaded on processing 2. None of the libs I have added for p3 seem to add to that examples list.

Those videos are excellent though. It seems like they are perfect for core libraries but if you just want to browse the functionality of different libraries offered in the downloads list, what other preview do you get besides the description?

Yes, I want to do things like Studio Dumbar does (see their work on youtube). I need sound libraries for that…
Geomerative libraries for things like this https://www.instagram.com/burnier/ ; see his works. He said that he did all of his works with geomaretive library.

What helps me:

1. to look at the source code of the library
  2. to use a good IDE like IntelliJ Idea or Eclipse. There you can control click on any method and it jumps to the source code. When you type . after an object the autocomplete is very good and it lets you explore all the available options, it shows you the types. I find that with good autocomplete the documentation is less crucial.

The autocomplete in the Processing IDE is much more limited which doesn’t help much when using libraries.

Drawback: switching to a more powerful IDE takes some learning, as the code is pure Java and not “Processing-flavor Java”.

1 Like

I tried all of the soundLibraries in Processing and all of them are a pain… each has bits missing, or terrible documentation with not enough examples (minim, SoundCypher, Beads, Cassette, and others)

Here are three sources that I learned from and are brilliant…

I still love Processing but feel it’s a bit of leaky ship, going down gracefully. Why not try p5js. There are a raft of audio libraries (Tone.js suffers from austere docs though).

2 Likes

I actually find it a bit difficult to learn libraries in Processing without tutorials or examples. In some of the new IDEs, you have the ability to jump to definitions that you allow you to find out more about the methods, review comments, etc. You can also do this by navigating to the folder where the library is and reviewing the classes, but its just a bit more work. But I have found that this method of learning allows you to discover things where no tutorials have been made yet.

1 Like

@yhlaskerimov @furinax If you are looking for geomerative examples in particular, how about this. It is an example I brought up to date for processing-3+. Or there is this response I gave to a previous query (actually to get this to work I needed to provide the library with a fix). Then there’s my JRubyArt examples here.. It should not be too difficult to work back to java processing.

1 Like