Is there a way to add Listeners to the PApplet?

I need to have an InputMethodListener for Japanese and Chinese input methods, is there a way to have the sketch listen to them?

Just like someone reads my post

1 Like

It is not clear. what kind of input method? What does the listener do? Could you share a sample code of the java version available on internet to see if it can be integrated with Processing?

Kf

Oh sorry, I guess I didn’t specify.

I mean the Listeners that java.awt.Component can integrate.

These listeners are where I can get user input from when I would be using java.awt to build a graphical user interface.
It has like MouseListener, MouseWheelListener, KeyListener and InputMethodListener, which can listen to different input methods than the ones specified above.

I don’t know what the Window PApplet uses is built upon, but Processing’s keydown apparently doesn’t detect usage of special Input Methods, mostly to input some Asian languages. So I was wondering if I can either integrate it myself or there is a way to listen to input method’s in processing.

1 Like

I know this is an old topic but I can hardly find similar reference from this forum. Probably this topic is too specific.

I am also working on this topic now and have difficulty to handle the IME composition for Mac. I would like to have a InputMethodListener() which listen key input particularly for complex language like Chinese language. User will press more than one key and each key corresponds to a composition of the final Chinese character. Then user presses a number key to confirm and display the final Chinese character. When I work for this on Mac, I find that it is not possible to display the final Chinese character by the key event handler of Processing. When user press the number key, it is the number being displayed rather than the final Chinese character. In other word, the key event handler like keyPressed() or keyTyped() in Processing cannot catch the final Chinese character in Mac. (But keyTypes() can catch it in Window). Thus I have to look for solution from java.awt.event.InputMethodEvent. However, it seems that Processing cannot work with java.awt.event.InputMethodEvent. I have the following sample program. Only the canvas.addKeyListener() works but not the canvas.addInputMethodListener(). But I need canvas.addInputMethodListener() works. If you runs this code in Mac, probably you will only see canvas.addKeyListener() works as how i described above. Can anyone give me insight how to deal with IME composition in Processing for Mac platform?

import java.awt.event.InputMethodListener;
import java.awt.event.InputMethodEvent;
import java.awt.im.InputContext;
import java.text.AttributedCharacterIterator; // Import for AttributedCharacterIterator

void setup() {
  size(800, 600);
  java.awt.Canvas canvas = (java.awt.Canvas)this.getSurface().getNative();
  canvas.setFocusable(true);
  canvas.requestFocusInWindow();
println("canvas=" + canvas);

canvas.addInputMethodListener(new InputMethodListener() 
  {
    public void inputMethodTextChanged(InputMethodEvent event) {
      println("#0");
      AttributedCharacterIterator text = event.getText();
      println("#1, text=" + text);

if (text != null) {
        int begin = text.getBeginIndex();
        int end = text.getEndIndex();
        StringBuilder committedText = new StringBuilder();
        char c = text.first();
        println("#2, c=" + c);

while (c != AttributedCharacterIterator.DONE) {
          if (text.getIndex() < event.getCommittedCharacterCount()) {
            committedText.append(c);
          }
          c = text.next();
        }
        println("Committed text: " + committedText.toString());
      }
    }

public void caretPositionChanged(InputMethodEvent event) {
      // This is called when the caret within composed text has changed
    }
  });

canvas.addKeyListener(new java.awt.event.KeyAdapter() {
    public void keyPressed(java.awt.event.KeyEvent e) {
      println("Key pressed: " + e.getKeyChar());
    }
  });
}

void draw() {
  background(128);
}

You can add any event listener to any Java class that inherits form java.awt.Component. Since java.awt.Canvas does inherit from Component your code works and will respond to InputMethodEvent events.

The reason that your code appears to do nothing is that no IME events are being fired for your code to catch. The problem is twofold

1. IME events are fired by text editing UI controls such as JTextField and JTextArea and you have none
  2. IME events are not fired by the keyboard.

So you have a listener that has nothing to listen for!

3 Likes

oh yes, that is true. I made it. After adding the listener to a JTextField, I can make the inputMethodTextChanged() function work for Chinese character typing like the following. Thanks quark. I did not beware that IME events are fired by the text editing UI controls.

import java.awt.event.InputMethodListener;
import java.awt.event.InputMethodEvent;
import java.text.AttributedCharacterIterator;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JTextField;

void setup() {
  JFrame frame = new JFrame("IME Example");
  JTextField textField = new JTextField();
  textField.setSize(800, 60); // Set the size of the text field

textField.addInputMethodListener(new InputMethodListener() {
    public void inputMethodTextChanged(InputMethodEvent event) {
      AttributedCharacterIterator text = event.getText();