Image processing and pattern recognition

Hi, I’m going to start learning this topics, and wanted to know, where can I start? I only know a little bit of processing, Matlab and c++(too llitle). Is processing powerful enough to solve this tasks? I want to focus in Medical images. Also i heard that python or c++ should be a better options. That’s why I need your advices. :slight_smile:

Processing is a simple & powerful enough language to use to get your feet wet. Setting up C++ or Python to a point where you can display/deal with images might be tricky; Processing can deal with them immediately - and it’s skipping this setup that makes it a good choice for you if you’re looking to write your own pattern recognition tool, instead of using an existing one.

2 Likes

Thanks! And what about the opencv library in processing, has the same functionality as in other programming language?

OpenCV for processing:

OpenCV for Processing is based on OpenCV’s official Java bindings. It attempts to provide convenient wrappers for common OpenCV functions that are friendly to beginners and feel familiar to the Processing environment.

So not all the Java API functions are available. However, you can just use the Java bindings and skip the Processing library for advanced projects.

As you get deeper into image processing, you may find that contemporary pattern recognition tasks involve more than just opencv – for example, machine learning, with frameworks such as tensorflow. These can be incorporated into Processing as well:

http://www.magicandlove.com/blog/2017/04/14/tensorflow-in-processing/

However, there are performance limits, and not as many people are doing this work in Processing as in C++ or Python. If your ultimate goal is object recognition on live video feeds then Processing may not have the performance levels you will need – you should probably go for a setup like OpenFrameworks + tensorflow for the raw performance of C++

Examples:

3 Likes