How can I get my Processing Program to connect to the Steam Client and Give Achievements?

Hello there! This is a pretty big and highly-specific question, but I’m running out of ideas and definitely don’t have the computer science expertise to figure this out on my own, let alone understand what exactly I’m doing. I’m making a game for Steam, and all that’s left to do is use the Steam API to give out achievements.

Because I used Processing, I needed the java library for Steamworks called steamworks4j. I got the library properly implemented in the game already, so that’s a good start.

Unfortunately, that’s as far as I’ve gotten. I’m having trouble getting my game to use the Steam Client and I can’t exactly find out how to do this. There were some mentions of implicit DLL linking and whatnot, and I tried my best to wrap my head around it, but I simply can’t figure anything out due to my lack of experience in this field of computer science.

The only decent tutorial I could find is in this article: Steam achievements in Java(libgdx). Step by step for dummies. BUT it uses libgdx and I can’t figure out how to follow Step #3 with Processing’s library management system.

All that being said, I’m totally stuck in a rut. I tried emailing the creator of steamworks4j but haven’t gotten a response yet. This is the last step before the release of my game, and it’s pretty frustrating that I can’t figure this one out. I know it’s asking a lot, but if anyone’s capable, I would love a detailed explanation of how to follow the steps in the article with Processing, or at least get the libraries set up properly. If I can get the Steam Client to initialize through the game, then I’ll be good to go.

BIG THANKS in advance!!!

1 Like

Hey there!
I came to ask the same thing and found your question. Were you able to get a response or find out more (or solve the whole thing)?
Please do let me know,
Thank you!