GSoC 2023: Join the Processing Foundation as a Summer of Code Contributor!

Hi Everyone, I would be really interested in contributing to opensource for Processing this Summer. A project that I would love to work on is Friendlier Error Messages for Processing. I was wondering would this project be possible to work on for a first year computer science student or would this amount of experience be too low?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you,
Radek

Hello! My name’s Alex (he/they) and I’m a designer and developer.

I just completed my Bachelor of Design this January and I am hoping to become a front-end or full-stack developer. I am specifically interested in the intersection of design, development, and music. I was excited to see that Processing is participating in GSoC as I value your prioritization of diversity, access, and education. I would love to be a part of the mission.

https://alextownson.ca
https://github.com/alextownson

Questions

My area of interest is p5.js but I noticed that almost all of the high priority projects are marked intermediate-advanced. As GSoC is meant for beginners/new to open source folks, what are your expectations of skill level?

I am keenly interested in p5.js Sound but I noticed there are not any projects related to it despite it now being a part of the complete library download. Is it best to stick with a proposal focusing on the project list? Will a proposal based on the p5.js Sound to-do list be seen as low priority?

1 Like

@TiborUdvari Thanks for your interest in the shader mode. Your proposed milestones are very reasonable and the additional nice-to-have, very exciting. In case it’s useful resource, this is a OpenCL-based library I wrote a while back. Looking forward to your proposal.

@CubeTures I agree with your opinion of using the Shapes package as a reference, and your proposed milestones sound great.

@TiborUdvari Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Hey this, is Shubhasai Mohapatra, I am an Android Developer. I want to understand about the Android Projects the Processing Foundation has. Is there any slack / discord / any community platform for that?
I want to understand the task under Android and want to contribute…

Hello, I’m Sachin Sharma, and I am a 4th-year B.Tech student at VIT University with a passion for software development. I’m interested to apply and work on the project “Add Ability to Make Sketches Private” for Google Summer of Code 2023.

In terms of my previous experiences, I have worked on several Full-Stack projects. I have also developed skills in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Version Control, MongoDB, etc., which I believe will be useful in completing this project successfully.

I am particularly interested in working on this because my skills and experiences align well with the project’s requirements and I would be able to make a valuable contribution.

My proposed solution for this project is:

Develop a new sketch creation page UI that allows the user to select whether the sketch should be public or private. We can add a property/flag to the sketch object in the database that indicates whether they are private or public. Once an authenticated user has created a private sketch, it should be hidden from the public. This can be achieved by modifying the sketch listing page to only show public sketches by default. Private sketches can be accessed by the user who created them, and by any authorized users they have granted access to. The advanced feature of authorizing certain users to view private sketches can be implemented using a simple access control system. This can involve allowing the user who created the sketch to specify a list of authorized users who can view the sketch.

I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback about my idea.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, I am writing the proposal and I need some help. I am writing this on the topic develop and organize py5 example code. Most of the examples from the processing page is already implemented here and am a little shortage on content to write, so I need some more details on the project description.
Secondly, from what I understood after going through the processing site and corresponding repository, I don’t think this will take a lot of time, so I can help in writing a testing framework and setting up GitHub actions. If this looks okay, I’ll include it in my proposal as well.
Thanks.

:wave: Hello there, I’m Dewansh, I’m a web developer, I forte in frontend development and I’ve currently been contributing to the p5.js web editor and want to apply for one of its projects.

I wanted to know if there are any specific guidelines for writing a GSoC proposal for processing foundation other than guidelines provided by google.

Thank you,
Dewansh Thakur
here’s a link to my website.

Hi @sableRaph ,
Hello! I am eager to contribute to the p5.js project’s effort to improve web accessibility. My main goal is to update the p5js.org tutorials, documentation, and learn examples, and conduct an accessibility audit of the website to identify areas that need improvement. I have intermediate-level skills in JavaScript, HTML, and CSS, and I am excited to work with mentors Claire Kearney-Volpe, Caleb Foss, Paula Isabel Signo, and TBD. I am willing to commit either 175 or 350 hours to this project and am confident in my ability to contribute meaningfully to the project’s success.

Hi ,Congratulation again being mentor organization for GSOC’23
My name is Elisur Freyesus. I have an experience in Mobile Dev. I am eager to participate in Cross-platform mobile dev in Dart (Flutter mode) project of yours. But I’m not sure where to start. I’m also new to Open Sources. I want to grow my skills and want to keep contributing after GSoC.

In addition to those if you have any suggestions on how to write my proposal and submit, I will be more than happy to hear from you.

Hello
I read all the documentation over github for GSOC 2023. And I pretty much know all the skills it requires to start working on the p5 Web Editor project of processing foundation for gsoc 2023. Making everything responsive for smaller resolutions.

I just want to know what should be the first step after this ( after I know what project is of my likings ). I am very new to open source, haven’t done anything before as that was my learning phase. This is my first time participating in GSOC.

1 Like

Hi @AdityaRana Sir,
I am Arsh Nirmal, a third-year student at D.J. Sanghvi College of Engineering. I am new to open source and have experience in Android development with Flutter and also Java. I know the basics of Kotlin, and I’m learning more about it.
I’m looking forward to contributing to the “Processing for Android” project to add Kotlin support to Android Mode. I want to establish myself as an open source contributor, so I would want to keep contributing to Processing even after GSOC ends.
I had used Processing earlier in one of my projects, where I used Java applets to create a desktop application that displayed real-time earthquake data around the world on a map.
To know more about me, arshnirmal (Arsh Nirmal) · GitHub

Hello!

I am Pratyay Suvarnapathaki, a 3rd year CS student at IIIT Hyderabad.

I’m keenly interested in contributing to p5.js via GSoC this year. I want to pursue the ‘Adding Support for Image Based Lighting’ project under the ‘WebGL/3D Functionality’ category. I would be a great fit here because my current research domain is real-time rendering (specifically involving lighting).

I’d love some guidance on how I may explore relevant areas of the codebase to form a strong proposal. Current documentation for WebGL lighting seems to be somewhat lacking, and it certainly doesn’t help that this is an entirely new functionality, as opposed to refinements to existing functionality. Any leads whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, would just this project be deemed ‘sufficient’ in terms of the scope of GSoC, or would it be better to package some core WebGL fixes along with this for a more substantial proposal?

Any feedback/help would be fantastic!

(Tagging potential mentors: @davepagurek @aceslowman )

Hi @spratyey, thanks for your interest!

There’s a general overview of the WebGL architecture here: p5.js/webgl_mode_architecture.md at main · processing/p5.js · GitHub The src/webgl folder has all the WebGL-specific code, so also take a look in there for the source code. A good method to navigate the code is to look at closed PRs that make WebGL changes to see what they had to change in order to fix something or add a feature.

The lighting calculations specifically are currently all in here: p5.js/lighting.glsl at main · processing/p5.js · GitHub That file is prepended to other shader files, where its functions then get called. Here’s a fragment shader that does this: p5.js/phong.frag at main · processing/p5.js · GitHub

I’d probably suggest not wrapping this particular project in with other work to make sure you have enough time to read up on all the background info, maybe make some prototypes outside of p5 to validate the output visually, see how it fits into p5, and integrate it. Integrating by making a third party library for p5 is also an option.

I’m also on the p5 discord’s #contribute-to-p5 channel regularly if you (or anyone!) wants any help finding things in the codebase. Feel free to post there if you need!

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m Hugo, a Spanish physicist-trained musician living in Taiwan. I’ve always been interested in contributing to the OSS community but never knew where to start, and the GSoC sounds like a good first step in that direction.

Checking the list of contribution ideas on GitHub, the one that best matches my skillset is Web Accessibility on p5js.org and documentation. After registering as a contributor, the application form says it is recommended to get in touch first with the organization, so here I am. I’d appreciate any help with the following questions:

Is too broad of a title for a proposal?
What other information should be included in the Summary section?
Should I reach the possible mentors beforehand?

Thank you for your time!

Hi everyone! Thank you for being a mentor for Google Summer of Code @sampottinger. I’m very interested and motivated to help with Project: Friendlier Error Messages for Processing. I am in education and use processing to engage students in the classroom. We have a lot of fun with using processing from quick drawings to writing simple games.

My use of processing with students has exposed me to many error messages being my student’s second and default rubber duck for debugging. I would love to help with this project to make processing even more inclusive and allow beginner programmers to be more independent from the beginning of their journey. Beyond processing java, I have taught java programming for the past 10 years. My students learn object-oriented programming through a mix of different programming activities focusing on lab- and project-based experiences. Contributing to this project can directly affect my future students and everyone else getting into programming. Knowing that this affects people close to me makes me very excited and motivated to be accepted to this project.

Thank you for your time, and if there’s anything more I can do please let me know. I look forward to submitting my proposal for this project.

Hello, my name is Gaurav, and I am a web developer with experience in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Laktor, Gatsby, and ReactJS. I am applying for the Area: Core project idea, where I plan to improve the user experience of the project by addressing 25 issues on the repository. These issues will include various filters, such as Area image and Area DOM. I am willing to dedicate 25 hours per week towards this project to meet my weekly goals.
Thank you

Hi, my name is Zubair Ahmed a final-year software engineering student. I want to ask whether I can apply for this idea or not: New Processing for Android tutorials. Thanks

Hi @sableRaph
I’m currently collecting ideas for writing a proposal on New PShader Tutorial for Processing which was mentioned here - Project List · processing/processing Wiki · GitHub

I wanted to know who could be possible mentors for this?.. as I need some help and feedback on the proposal which I’ll be sharing here soon.

Hi there, I’m Justin Wong :raising_hand_man:.
I’m interested in implementing shader-based filters for GSoC, and I’ve spent the last few days looking at prior discussions and digesting the problem. It’s a cool area to work on, especially since I’ve personally experienced slow filter() calls in my p5js sketches. I want to make sure I’m on the right track.

The proof-of-concept code for filter(shader) already exists, between this shader repo and this sketch. I’d just have to glue it together in the core library and maybe tweak it along the way. That’s the main priority so it speeds up existing filters like filter(GRAY), and also so it matches the interface of desktop Processing’s filter() method.

What’s left seems to be bundling the shaders, putting it all together into a PR, benchmarking performance, and documenting clearly as WebGL mode crosses into 2D mode. I’m more excited about the last two points - possibly working on a small developer tool like this, and also focusing on docs since WebGL can feel like a hazy abstraction for p5js users.

Is this a good understanding of the shader-filter feature, and a good scope for a GSoC proposal? Or am I missing some important aspect / headed off track / too ambitious. Thanks in advance for your guidance. I’ll keep digging around the codebase in the meantime.

Possible mentors: @davepagurek @aferriss @aceslowman

1 Like