G4P dropList number of elements

Hi,
the maximum number of elements shown in the dropList (when expanded) seems to be 10.
Is there a way to increase the number (I want 20 :slight_smile: )?
Thanks

Hey, I did a bit of searching and found this specific page on the G4P website: G4P (GUI for Processing): g4p_controls.GDropList Class Reference

Most specifically:

g4p_controls.GDropList.GDropList ( PApplet theApplet ,
float p0 ,
float p1 ,
float p2 ,
float p3 ,
int viewListMaxSize
)

With a description reading:

Create a drop down list component with a specified list size.

So I hope this is what you’re looking for? Please try it out and let me know. Thanks!

EnhancedLoop7

3 Likes

Yes you can set the maximum number of items to be displayed when creating the droplist. Just like this

import g4p_controls.*;

GDropList dl;

void setup() {
  size(400, 600);
  String[] items = new String[30];
  for (int i = 0; i < items.length; i++) {
    items[i] = "" + (i+1);
  }
  dl = new GDropList(this, 10, 10, 120, 400, 20);
  //                                          ^ number of items to show
  dl.setItems(items, 3); // Start with '4' selected
}

void draw() {
  background(255);
}
4 Likes

OK first up: I used the G4P GUI builder tool for this because I have a lot of buttons and checkboxes and it’s easier to have them visually layed out for me.

The tool limits me (for whatever reason as I now found out) to 10 lines maximum. That’s why I posted this.

As of now it works fine, thanks to you guys. But I now have to change 2 values of this:

namely p3 (height when extended) and viewListMaxSize every time I open and close the tool.

I tried putting the creation of the dropList a second time directly behind the createGUI() but it doesn’t show anything then… :

createGUI();
datasets_dropList = new GDropList(this, 1460, 40, 420, 660, 20); //660 and 20 are the values I want
datasets_dropList.setItems(loadStrings("list_478498"), 0);
datasets_dropList.setLocalColorScheme(GCScheme.SCHEME_8);
datasets_dropList.addEventHandler(this, "datasets_dropList_click");

Is there a way to make it so I don’t have to change the values every time?

I don’t know why I limited it to 10, it probably made sense when I created GUI Builder. I will certainly change it for the next release but that doesn’t help you at the moment.

Sorry I can’t think of a sensible workaround.

I am assuming you are in the development / testing phases, can you not wait until you are ready to deploy and then modify the code?

1 Like