Equivalent to PGraphics g in p5.js?

Something I’ve done in Processing is create a function that has an optional PGraphics argument by utilizing the g PGraphics in PApplet. Like:

void showEllipse() {
  showEllipse(g); // when in PApplet
  // showEllipse(applet.g); // when different class
}

void showEllipse(PGraphics pg) {
  pg.beginDraw();
  pg.ellipse(100, 100, 50, 50);
  pg.endDraw();
}

I’d like to do something similar in p5.js but after digging through the source code for an hour or so I couldn’t find an equivalent to the g variable. Is there an equivalent in p5.js?

Here’s what I’d like to do:

function showEllipse(pg) {
  if (typeof pg === 'undefined') {
    pg = ;// this is the part I'm not sure about, something like p5.instance.g maybe
  }
  pg.ellipse(100, 100, 50, 50);
}

I can think of a few other less elegant ways ways to solve this problem but I was hoping someone is more familiar with p5.js and knows where to find the main p5.Graphics, if there is one.

1 Like
1 Like

That helps, but it doesn’t really work the way I’d like because when using methods on a renderer you have to pass arguments as an array and it bypasses all the checks that p5 normally does. And it seems a fair amount extra work to find a way to convert the the args to an array only if the render is used. Here’s my progress on that if someone wants to go into it.

if (typeof pg === 'undefined') {
		pg = _renderer;
	}
	pg.ellipse([100, 100, 100, 100]); // only works for when using _renderer and for some reason is using ellipseMode(CORNER);
	// pg.ellipse(100, 100, 100, 100); // only works for when not using _renderer
}

Will probably just do the following despite a little extra overhead I prefer that to code duplication or the headache of dealing with the renderer.

let noGraphicsPassed = typeof pg === 'undefined';
	if (noGraphicsPassed) {
		pg = createGraphics(width, height);
	}
	pg.ellipse(100, 100, 100, 100);
	if (noGraphicsPassed) {
		image(pg, 0, 0);
		pg.remove();
	}
}

If anyone is interested they can see it in action in this sketch.

1 Like

Unfortunately, createCanvas() instantiates a p5.Renderer object, while createGraphics() instantiates a p5.Graphics object, which is a wrapper for a p5.Renderer object, plus it acts as a p5 object too: :clown_face:

It’s very inconsistent & hard to study how the p5js API deals w/ those 2 classes across its source code! :dizzy_face:

There are other problematic patches to deal w/ p5.Image objects too.
For some reason, the class p5.Image doesn’t inherit from p5.Element!
And therefore, it’s not a parent class for neither p5.Renderer nor p5.Graphics! :scream:

BtW, I’ve always ranted & been against this hackish p5.Graphics class from the very beginning of the p5js project. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

This seems to work:

if(!pg){
		pg = this;
	}
	pg.ellipse(100, 100, 100, 100);
}

You could also use instance mode so you have a sketch variable that you can use directly.

3 Likes