Hi guys I’m the CTO and founder of Strive Math (YC S21) https://www.strivemath.com/ and we’re hiring teachers to teach P5JS to school students. Here is a little more about the job:
- You will be teaching Strive content to students in grade 4-10 through live online classes.
- We build content that teaches math through code, we use https://p5js.org/ to create visual interactive projects that teach a specific math and coding topic.
- You will be given all the material required for each module beforehand.
- As a teacher, your role will be to guide the students to write the code for the full project. This will require a lot of patience, empathy, and the skill of explaining math concepts.
Strive teaches grade 4-10 students math through code via 1-1 online classes. Students code games like Pacman/Pong and in the process they master math concepts taught in school.
In the real world, engineers and financial analysts use code to solve problems, yet in school, students are learning math the same way it was taught 100 years ago. Not only do schools teach an outdated syllabus but they also teach it in such a way that sucks the joy and creativity out of education. With being overly focused on maximizing test scores through rote learning, students grow to hate math or at worst grow up thinking they are stupid - “I’m just not a math person”. Math is not just crunching numbers and solving equations, it’s a language to think critically about the world and solve problems.
When expressing math through code, dry numbers jump out from the page into dynamic works of 3D art. You can get immediate feedback, change one number, and the whole output changes instantaneously, enabling students to play with math. With code students fundamentally change their relationship to math while learning the skills needed to thrive in the job market of the future. Strive empowers students to be joyful first principles thinkers who will solve the most prominent problems of the 21st century.
The following video shows an example Strive lesson. This can also paint a picture for how it’s like to teach a Strive module:
- Strong mathematical foundation to teach Grade 4-10 math.
- Need lots of patience and a passion for educating young kids
- Have a strong internet connection
- Ideally, you will own an iPad or tablet
- 5-20 hours of teaching a week (Flexible based on your schedule)
- Location: All classes on zoom
- $10 USD to $30 USD based on experience and location
Fill out the application form above
- Initial application (1-2 minutes)
- Short coding project (10-20 minutes)
- Introduction call (15-30 minutes)
- Long coding project
- Longer interview (45-60 minutes)
- Final decision