ControlP5 examples for separate control frames not working

I’ve seen a lot of posts and links about controlP5, but I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. Also there are a lot of dead links everywhere, including on the Github page of the controlP5 library itself.

I have the latest controlP5 library (2.2.6) and Processing 3.5.4, but both examples about having the controls in a separate window don’t work, for different reasons:

• ControlP5frames -> The method add(Component) in the type Container is not applicable for the arguments (ControlP5frames.ControlFrame
  • ControlP5frame -> When running, no error, but endless beach ball spinning on the main window.

Is there a way to load settings for a sketch in a separate window with ControlP5?

If you have another suggestion on having controls outside of the main sketch window using another library of technique, please feel free to name it also.

Ok, so I just found out I CAN get the controlP5frame example to work if I get rid of the

void settings(){
    size(400, 400);
 }

If I put the size in the setup (where the controlFrame is also being initialised) the sketch runs and the controlwindow initialises, but the sketch itself has the default size of 100, 100. No matter where I put the size(400, 400).

I found out after that, that surface.setSize(400, 400); does work, but it feels hacky. Any insights? Personally I never used void settings before.

Sorry that I keep highjacking my own thread. The sketch runs, but there is no way to get the values from the controlWindow into the sketch itself as far as I can see.

So the questions in my original posts still stand:

1. Is there a way to load settings for a sketch in a separate window with ControlP5?

2. If you have another suggestion on having controls outside of the main sketch window using another library of technique, please feel free to name it also.