Choosing chronological order

I am creating an example of state-driven agent design using finite state machines. It will be part of a p5js / Javascript library for autonomous agents.

The large table at the bottom is a logger showing state changes and agent messaging in chronological order. If you watch new events are shown at the end of the table and older events are pushed off the top. This is what you would see in a console or terminal window.

Now when I check my emails I have the latest emails at the top of the list and older emails are pushed downwards. In other words, reverse-chronological order. It means that the most recent email is always at the top.

After watching this sketch I am tempted to change the top-down order from chronological to reverse-chronological so the most recent activity is at the top of the list.

I would be interested in hearing arguments for or against reversing the order.

3 Likes

I would agree that the most recent activity should be at the top of the list.

Reason is that the field of vision is smaller because your eyes are mostly in the upper part of the screen where also the top-most line of the list is.

2 Likes

Thanks @Chrisir for the feedback - nice to have someone confirm my choice.

So the items are listed in reverse chronological order with the most recent (top one) highlighted. Finally the items scroll down the table show casing the latest activity. Here is the result.

2 Likes