Change in Java11 license

I just read this article on the new Java11 license by Oracle and thought about the possible impact on Processing and its community.

According to the author, the license now says:

You may not: use the Programs for any data processing or any commercial, production, or internal business purposes other than developing, testing, prototyping, and demonstrating your Application;

Has any core dev of Processing thought about this? Would this affect Processing? Would it be possible to switch to OpenJDK? (Last time I tried, it did not work well if I remember, but that was a while ago).

Update: My bad, this article is a bit misleading. There still exists open source GNU GPL Java11 JDK available at this address: JDK 11 Releases. The article says Oracle released a commercial JDK with the restrictions mentioned above and people might be confused between the two.

Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for the lookout!

These things are good to be aware of, although I don’t think Processing is in any danger of migrating to Java 11 anytime soon.

Processing 3 uses Java 8 (but does not support all Java 8 language features). […] there are no plans to support Java 9 or 10. The first version we might use is Java 11, a “long term support” release, scheduled for September 2018. However, without anyone contributing their time to rework the code for Java 9/10/11, we’ll be using Java 8 for the foreseeable future.
Supported Platforms · processing/processing Wiki · GitHub

Write now Processing syntax supports most of 7 and some 8 language features running backed by 8.

1 Like

Well at least there’s now no choice but for Processing to be a fully FLOSS project and use OpenJDK! :wink: I would assume the best option will be AdoptOpenJDK though. Oracle are not releasing a free LTS.

Shipping Oracle Java 8 after Jan 2019 might be more difficult. A switch to OpenJDK 8 first might be good.