Can p5 objects have anchor links?

Hello, I’m new to p5 DOM manipulation and I’m trying to discover if it’s possible to associate an object with a link. For example I would like to draw a circle and when it is clicked I go to a link.

I have experimented with instance mode and seen how I can link an entire canvas to a html anchor link, this is nice to make individual ‘buttons’ however now I want to know if I can have just one canvas with associated buttons e.g. an arrangement of circles where each circle is a different link.

Thanks in advance for an help!

Hi @elle_C,

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

A simple solution might be to do that in pure JavaScript using the window.location object and simulating a link hovering effect:

class LinkCircle {
  constructor(x, y, diameter, url) {
    this.x = x;
    this.y = y;
    this.diameter = diameter;
    this.url = url;
  }

isMouseInside() {
    return dist(this.x, this.y, mouseX, mouseY) < this.diameter / 2.0;
  }

mousePressed() {
    if (this.isMouseInside()) {
      window.location.assign(this.url);
    }
  }

display() {
    const mouseInside = this.isMouseInside();

// Simulate link hover by changing cursor type
    cursor(mouseInside ? HAND : ARROW);

fill(mouseInside ? 255 : 0);
    circle(this.x, this.y, this.diameter);
  }
}

let linkCircle;

function setup() {
  createCanvas(400, 400);

linkCircle = new LinkCircle(
    width / 2, height / 2, 250,
    "https://processing.org"
  );
}

function draw() {
  background(220);

linkCircle.display();
}

function mousePressed() {
  linkCircle.mousePressed();
}

ezgif-3-9b15eb7e9f

Otherwise, since p5js uses the native HTML <canvas> element to draw things it’s not really possible to use HTML links with canvas shapes.

You might want to use SVG instead or CSS: The Many Ways to Link Up Shapes and Images with HTML and CSS | CSS-Tricks - CSS-Tricks

1 Like

Hi @josephh,

Thank you so much for your great insight! As a beginner it really helps to know the different options there are.

I like the idea of the javascript/class option as it will give me alot of freedom to make and arrange my visual links - I’m going to give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gad it helped! A good option might be to use class inheritance to implement any kind of shapes you want with a specific click bounding box. :wink: