Advices for my code

Looks like an awesome project! I’d second everything that’s already been said.

I’d also like to add a couple tips given I was self taught for the first year or so of learning to code. I’d say the hardest thing about being self taught is you end up working in a little bubble. In a bubble you don’t learn good documentation practices and you don’t learn to read other people’s code. Which isn’t necessarily a problem until you want to collaborate on bigger projects.

So I’d definitely encourage you to practice descriptive class and variable names. This is perhaps the simplest form of documentation. It makes code way more readable. Beyond that generating Javadocs is a great way to get some distance from your code and see how others would understand it upon first reading it. And when I first did it my documentation went to a whole new level. Here’s a tutorial on doing that in eclipse but there’s tons of information about Javadocs out there if you’re interested.

A great way to learn how to read other people’s code is to get involved in an opensource project. Which can be really intimidating but this is one I saw recently that you might find interesting and it’s not super large so hopefully it’s less intimidating. And a bonus of reading other’s code is you start learning about things you never knew about.

3 Likes