https://code.strivemath.com/ is a free-to-use online code editor for writing p5 code in Python. It comes with built-in live edit features (No login is needed to use Live Edit) and many functions to help teachers explain coding concepts.
Note: This is a very early Alpha version of the Strive Editor; we’re releasing this as proof of concept and to get feedback from the community. So don’t be surprised if you get some strange, unexpected errors.
Live Edit in Python without needing to log in
Functions to help teachers explain coding concepts
We have a whole library of utility functions we’re developing at GitHub - StriveMath/p5.teach.js: p5.teach.js is a library for p5.js developed by Strive to aid in teaching coding Some of these include
- Flexibility with the handedness of the coordinate systems in 2D and 3D.
- Grids in 2D and 3D
crosshair()tool to locate the mouse easily
die()draws a single die that displays a number 1-6
responsiveText()draws text positioned upwards and rightwards independent of rotation and scale.
drawVector()draws a vector from a point with optional dash rendering.
createMovableCircle()****creates a circle that users can drag about the canvas with their mouse.
drawBarGraph()draws a simple bar graph given an Array of data.
- Time-developing functions to go back and forth between two values, either sinusoidal oscillation with
wave()or triangular oscillation with
Highly detailed kid-friendly docs
See https://learnpython.strivemath.com/ for more.
For the most common p5 commands, we’ve made highly detailed and visual docs to help students learn the basics and find help on their questions.
We have a few ideas that we’re planning on working on in the future and would love to hear from you about which of these features would be the most useful.
- Block-based coding with live edit.
- Developing tons of free educational content that could either support teachers or be used by students independently. See this video as an example: https://youtu.be/PdQyJ5v_EyM
- Support for lesson plans and notes in the editor.
- AI code assistant/tutor.
- Classroom management tools for managing multiple students.
- Coding portfolios
With code.strivemath.com, we’ve launched p5-python-web (run p5 python in the browser and p5.teach.js (utility functions to help teachers). See this forum post for more information
- Leave a comment on this thread.
- Fill in our feedback form https://forms.gle/XSiHAmxB9dysmGxa7