What devices will this work with?

One further question, I see the Amazon Fire 7 tablet on sale for $30, does anyone know if it allows the Processing sketches to run? I have read that it doesn’t work with Google Play apps, so it makes me wonder.

Amazon Fire 7 comes with Lollipop 5.1
Where is written that it doesn’t work with Google Play?
It will run sketches without a problem.

I guess not so much that it won’t work, but it takes some extra steps. https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Before I bought my Samsung, I bought in one year two cheap phones, wich I had to repare anyhow. I spend more money then if I had bought my actually right away. My advice is; save some more, and buy a good one.

That’s what I was thinking. Thanks again

Does Android Studio run on the galaxy also?

“On” a Galaxy not. AS is for PC only. But you can run a virtual device on PC, or install an app via USB.
I do none of this, because I do not have a PC. I develope my processing sketches with the APDE app.

That looks promising. It looks like it may run on my nook, but I might have to try and update it to run full Android because it compiles but won’t install the package

I installed Android 7 on the nook, and APDE works. But unless I can get a mouse working, text selection is pretty much futile. Plus when I paste code from a google note, it doubles every line feed in the code with no apparent way to get rid of all the extra whitespace. So I may be back to just saving up for a better tablet anyway.

Hehe. I like that sort of thing. Nougat on a nook.
Why not a Kitkat? You realize that you are working on this for a month now? Hehe, now you can’t give up. Must be kind of slow not? Does the touch screen not work at all? That is quite common for custom builds.

It’s the first time I did something like this, all I did was burn an image that someone made for the nook and install two zips that they had already made, I don’t really know all that much.

The Nook is generally a bit more responsive than it had been, but still it’s slow to open and close things.

However, running sketches I don’t see much lag, it seems kind of normal once one is open.

Oh, and the battery. The battery drains faster than it can charge when it’s plugged in to the computer, but I guess after so many years that is to be expected.

The sketch I have here [Accumulate rotation with snapping]
runs, but for some reason, when I change just the size to size(1280, 1920) the text above all looks normal but the bottom clock face is bigger than the screen and is pixelated, I’m assuming that it’s something peculiar to the way I specified it’s size that APDE doesn’t like. But when I drag the clock hand around on the nook, it seems just as responsive as it is on the Mac and iCompiler for Processing app on the iPhone.

I can’t tolerate the number of times I have to try to get the cursor in the right place, and how I can so rarely get the copy and paste pop ups to appear. And if I add one more wireless keyboard/mouse to my collection I think my family will go crazy.

I am looking forward to see if sketches with Box 2d will work.

So, yeah, I think overall it has been pretty worthwhile and a good hold over until I can get a better tablet. I like making games that my 4yo can play, so being able to put them on the Nook will be nice so he can let me use my phone sometimes. :rofl:

Adapting code to work on Android is something you have to get used to. When I use fonts on my tablet, and I am satisfied with the look, I use something like:
if (width > height) fontSize (18 * width/800);
else fontSize (18 * height/1200);
Being 18 the font size and 800 and 1200 the screen size I use on my device.
In your code you also have to put into perspective the radius size . r = width/3 - 70; for instance will fix the clock width.
Doesn’t your Nook have a touch screen?

It does. Maybe I can get used to it.

What about pasting a sketch, I tried pasting from a google note, and from a mail in the GMail app, and APDE always doubles the new lines. Do you know how to make that stop?

Found it. I put the file in a text editor and changed the NewLine character and now they aren’t doubled.

Thanks for the suggestion about the width and fonts.

Almost every thing I copy/paste into apde is pasted as 1 line. So I paste it first in an app called QuickEdit, and them copy/paste it into the apde. All formating will be correct that way.

1 Like

Have you ever tried APDE on a Galaxy s4 or something like that?

That’s my phone. Working splendid!

Sorry, I meant the Note 4. Wasn’t sure if it would be pretty easy to do text editing on a smaller device with APDE

No it isn’t. But a tablet like mine ( 9.6 inch), is very pleasant to work with. I don’t need an external keyboard.

I do most of my work on the iPhone 7 Plus with the iCompiler for Processing app, that works pretty well. But there’s getting to be so many glitches and bugs that are frustrating to work around. I like the idea of using the note to replace the phone.

Do you happen to know if APDE works at all on the phone size device or maybe it doesn’t really have a layout that would work

On all android devices I know of, it is working very well.