Visual effects, modifiers

I want to use P5JS for digital arts. A very important thing are 3D modifiers and visual effects, like distortion, clouding, an explosion or blur an the edge of the model. Is P5JS suitable to do things like this? For me it is an interesting way to generate art, beside using software systems like blender.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

p5js is not directly oriented toward 3d graphics but you can still use WEBGL and shaders to achieve post processing effects.

You might want to take a look at this tutorial about shaders in p5:

https://itp-xstory.github.io/p5js-shaders/#/

However if you want to do advanced 3d manipulation / rendering, I suggest you use a more specific library like Three.js :

If you want to go even further, there’s video game software for real time 3d graphics like Unreal Engine, Unity, Godot… :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome, @eArts

Are you looking for real-time rendering? Do you need to program interactivity? As @josephh has advised, game engines work well for those applications.

Houdini is a powerful procedural generation package with a node-based programming interface. Cables looks interesting too, if you’re keen on another node-based option.

On a side note: Blender’s Python environment is great for creative coding (if you haven’t played with it yet).

1 Like