Switch between 2 sketches with PraxisLive

Hi there, and also hi @neilcsmith :slight_smile:

I would like to use Praxis live to easily switch between processing sketches during a live performance (using midi controller)

I installed it and tried some stuff, but it’s still unclear for me how to do import your sketches and make them run in Praxis.

Any tutorial or guide that I can use to get started on this?

Thx a lot :slight_smile:

Hi @squirelo :smile: Happy to answer questions on here, although we also have our own mailing list and chat - you can find them at Community

The important thing to note is that you’re not really mixing sketches - there is still only one PApplet (per graph at least). There are two base components that act like sketches and wrap a PGraphics - either P2D or P3D. You need to add one of these components to your graph - video:gl:p2d or video:gl:p3d. The other thing to note is that programming is in Java without Processing language changes.

There’s an old blog post on converting sketches - I’m working on an updated post at the moment - Transform a Processing sketch into a Praxis LIVE component | Praxis LIVE

Also, open up the examples and right-click on any node and select Edit Code to see how existing nodes are built. Code will update immediately every time you save - fully supports live-coding.

Video of me talking and demoing it (keynote at a Polish Java conference last year) might also be useful - https://youtu.be/3cQ-8wZwsmY

Hope that helps! Ask if you need more. :smile:

1 Like

Awesome thx for the fast answer, I’m gonna try this today.

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, how did you get on? Any problems, missing info / features for what you want to do?