Switch audio playing on face distance from cam

So I have a code I am writing where I use OpenCV for face detection and I am switching between 2 scenes depending on the distance the face is from the camera. But I have to put one audio file to play for each of these, and playing on draw() just bugs the audio.

I am using switch() for playing the 2 diferent graphics. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the audio switch as well?

(The code is long, but I can share if needed)

Hiya

Have a look at Example 4 here - just switch the keyboard trigger for your face detection.

Processing Sound Library, Example 4

This example shows how to make a simple keyboard-triggered sampler with the Sound
library. In this sketch 5 different short samples are loaded and played back at
different speeds, which also changes their perceived pitch by one or two octaves.

I tried that approach, but I think the audio keeps playing again and again, because the trigger is inside the draw.

I am kind of a begginer, so I tried making a new void for the face detection but it stop working :frowning_face:

Hiya

you could use isPlaying to check if a sound is already playing

and stop for when you switch

then perhaps for an approach that might work - look at scene switching as used by games (also called game state)

eg in your draw loop have these steps

detect face

if face is near

• face is near code
  • is face-is-near sound playing? if so do nothing, otherwise play face-is-near sound
  • is face-is-far sound playing? if so stop it, otherwise do nothing

if face is far

• face is far code
  • is face-is-far sound playing? if so do nothing, otherwise play face-is-far sound
  • is face-is-near sound playing? if so stop it, otherwise do nothing

its fine having the face detection in a new void - you then call it at the right point in your draw loop

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! I was not aware of isPlaying and it worked perfectly!