Rotating rectangles to face mouseX, mouseY

Hi everyone! I’ve taken a few years out from using processing so I’m sorry if I’m missing something pretty basic!

I’m trying to individually rotate each rectangle generated from a nested for loop to face the mouse coordinates - but at the moment each rectangle is rotating as a group. The rotation isn’t right yet either but I’m more concerned that they are rotating in unison for now… does anyone have any advice for getting them to act independently?

Thanks!

void setup() {
  pixelDensity(displayDensity());
  size(1000, 500);
  background(0);
  colorMode(HSB, 100);
  fill(0, 70, 70);
  rectMode(CENTER);
}

int totalRows = 5;
int totalColumns = 5;

void draw() {
  background(0);
  for (int row = 1; row <= totalRows; row++) {
    for (int column = 1; column <= totalColumns; column++) {

float x1 = column * (width * 0.8 / totalColumns) + (0.05 * width); //set the center points of the rectangles
      float y1 = row * (height * 0.8 / totalRows) + (0.05 * height); //set the center points of the rectangles

pushMatrix();
      translate(x1, y1); //go to center point
      float mX = mouseX + 1; //set to floats to allow division, + 1 to avoid division by 0 errors
      float mY = mouseY + 1; //set to floats to allow division, + 1 to avoid division by 0 errors
      rotate(atan((mY/(mX)))); //arctan of mouse coordiantes, considering rectangle center is now at (0,0) due to translation.
      rect(0, 0, width*0.05, height*0.01, width*0.005);
      popMatrix();
    }
  }
}
1 Like

I thought it might be helpful to show what I’m trying to achieve - here’s a rough illustration!

1 Like

Hello,

Try:

rotate(atan2(y1-mY, x1-mX));

See the reference:
https://processing.org/reference/atan2_.html

:)

2 Likes

Amazing thank you so much!

2 Likes