When I attempt to play sound via Processing, I get a fast pace pulsing click that starts after a couple of seconds. With no other sound coming from the speaker. The sound is via the HDMI connection. If I plug in headphones to the audiojack it doesn’t change anything.
I’ve tried several different sketches, including the sample sketches provided by Processing and I can’t get sound to play on my Raspberry Pi.
- I’ve tried mp3, aif, and wav files.
- I tried playing some of the files via the VLC player outside of processing. Some worked, some didn’t. If it’ worked in VLC i then tried it through Processing with no change in results.
- I took the same audio files and dragged them into the Chromium browser and they played just fine.
- via command line - aplay failed to play the files in a normal manner (sounded real static)
- some of the files I’m trying are 8 bit others are 16 bit. One hasn’t worked better or more consistently than the other.
- I’m using Raspbian and the latest build ie Stretch.
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- TV connected via HDMI cable
- Processing 3.5.3
- My cat has been supervising
Any insight is welcome
do not blame the cat!
i have same setup:
-a- RPI Raspbian
-b- HDMI TV/Monitor with sound
-c- processing 3.5.3
now that funny noise from the speaker i also have!
but only when i play
p5js.org like sketch
! and only as long i am LOGIN!!! ( very spooky )
pls listen in:
the noise seems related to drop in FPS ( that’s why i choose this example )
if login i hear that noise!
any idea why login lets the FPS drop like that? server communication would be only required on menu operation??
with that in mind i open processing 3.5.3
in p5.js Mode
copy paste same sketch and run it,
but not hear anything.
in both that is not a sketch what use any sound lib.
when i use processing 3.5.3 in Mode p5js
and test any “p5js example sound” it works.
but i see the red warning
no content type found for .mp3
when i use processing 3.5.3 in Mode Java
and test example from Minim ( all P3D )
there is a 5 sec start delay for the sketch but
then the sound play fine.
oh yes, RPI settings!!!
- i use the GLdriver Legacy / not KMS
- memory split is on 128
I am in the same boat. I even converted the mp3 to a wave. Plays just fine on my macbook, just makes a long thin creek on my pi (thru hdmi).
if you link to your
( what will show us your CODE / allow access to the WAV )
i can play with it on WIN 7 / WIN 10 / RASPBIAN
also you might mention your RPI setup,
i use RPI3B+
and RASPBIAN BUSTER
- first version for RPI4 updated
- latest version where all the video things for processing are different