Processing? What is it?

What is “processing”? Do I need it? Can i use any IDE?

Processing is a flexible software sketchbook and a language for learning how to code within the context of the visual arts. Since 2001, Processing has promoted software literacy within the visual arts and visual literacy within technology. There are tens of thousands of students, artists, designers, researchers, and hobbyists who use Processing for learning and prototyping.

It especially strong with graphics and interaction and 3D.

You can use with any IDE but it comes with its own IDE

2 Likes

Check out the website and the tabs on the top of page:

https://processing.org/

I have not used Python mode and can’t comment on IDE.

There may be something in this Google Search for you:

Google search for “ide processing python”

1 Like

How do i use it with any IDE? If I install, say, emacs, will processing’s functions and methods be available? Do I need to configure the IDE so it knows where to find processing’s methods?

Also are there audio methods? What should i use if, instead of visual arts I want to program also audio?

For exemple, I want to assign a sound sample to a particle moving in 3D and program the particles trajectory?

Why not start with the default IDE? It’s pretty good!

Or look into https://py.processing.org/tutorials/command-line/

I have not used Python mode and can’t comment.

In the meantime, consult the examples that are included in the Python Mode download for Processing (File > Examples…)

Chrisir

1 Like

I’m wondering what is the simplest way to work with sound files, to program sound samples so they are mixed the way i want to. Do i need processing or can i do that using only python?

From what I understand processing has graphical capabilities (methods and classes) that are not part of Python, but can be called by a python program.

Firstly, Processing Pyhton Mode is not a library that you import into an existing application. More like the other way around – you can import Python libraries into your Processing Python Mode program. It actually runs on Java, using Jython to translate/execute the Python code. This has it’s quirks though, which may or may not be a deal-breaker for your project.

The simplest way to test out your idea is to download Processing, then install Python mode in the IDE, then write some code. From here, you can try out Processing’s Sound library, or use some other Python library to process your audio.

You can use the command line version to hook Processing.py up to some other IDE.

1 Like