Processing - Part Tracer (3D digitizer)

Hi, I haven’t used an Arduino in a number of years.
Tied up with life. Starting again from scratch to be honest.
But hoping to fast track. Building the project is my aim not to reinvent the entire wheel.
Never used process before.
If I can get some help, it would be appreciated.

I am looking at DIY Digitizer (ruc.dk)

with this repository

GitHub - dzlonline/3D_digitizer2: 3D digitizer using quadrature encoders

When I attempt to run the processing project I get
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

If I add
mode.id=processing.mode.java.JavaMode
mode=Java

then I get
Syntax Error - Error on “mode”

Any help please.

1 Like

Hi

Good place to start learning processing

And you can see examples provided with processing IDE

When you try to do project you need to haven minimum knowledge about the language that you going to use

I have been told that the code has worked for someone else. They had a Mac though. I have windows.

Looks like this topic is now dead in the water.

I don’t see the reason for your defeat. Processing works well on Windows/Mac/RPi. Arduino is communicating to PC with serial. That’s the same for Windows/Mac/RPi but with different port names.

I’ve copied working Processing sketches from Windows to RPi and only changed the port name.

2 Likes

Hi as @RichardDL said

Processing works well on Windows/Mac/RPi. Arduino is communicating to PC with serial. That’s the same for Windows/Mac/RPi but with different port names.

How any one could help you if you don’t know how to use processing at first place??

Start first in how to connect Arduino to processing then it’s going to be more easier to solve your issue

Try to make connection from Arduino to processing

1 Like

If you feed this line of code
myPort = new Serial(p, Serial.list()[3], 19200);
an integer to a functional usb port you should not get an error and see the following:

1 Like

Sorry, where do I add this code?

It is already in the project code.
Seek and you shall find.

The code below from the project does NOT pass the index of 0 correctly to the method in the class and it is hardcoded as[0] in the class:

pointer digitizer = new pointer(this, 0);
pointer(PApplet p,int index)
  {
  myPort =new Serial(p, Serial.list()[0], 19200);
  active=true;
  }

You have to modify the code to connect to the Arduino COM port that you intend to use.

Resources:

list() may be of interest to you in the resource above.

:)

That ‘Serial.list()[0]’ parameter in the example frequently causes confusion. IMO we need a single post that explains it all properly. For now, easier to say: see what port you used to load the Arduino e.g. COM12, instead of ‘Serial.list()[0]’ put “COM12” (with quotes).

When selecting a serial port (as well as other things in life), it’s always nice to know your options. Adding the following code up near the front of your project can help you make an informed decision:
printArray(Serial.list());

2 Likes

I am not physically connected to an Arduino.

Hi, I posted this the other day on the Arduino forum as a question.
Does processing need to be connected to the Arduino?

(By Commenting out lines of code in the processing project I was able to get the GUI to display. Without any keys displaying).

Hi, this doesn’t work for me. It’s been quite some time since I have worked with USB’s and RS232.
I don’t have an Arduino to hand at the moment. Wnen I do connect an Arduino to my PC will it show up in my Device Manager automatically. With an RS232 address?

1 Like

What is your goal? Do you want to build a digitizer
or just test the program beforehand? Do you already own the Arduino
and the digitizer?

1 Like

Yes, probably. It depends on what Arduino you get, and whether the driver is already on your PC. Finding (Google etc.) the driver usually takes < 5 mins. After that it works every time, straight away. (If difficult please ask, with type of Arduino or url where you bought it.)

Initially test the program

1 Like

Is there supposed to be a semi-colon following JavaMode? Do you really need that line of code anyway? The mode is set in the upper right hand corner of the editor.

is the issue not with PeasyCam

The issue may be the line above it.

1 Like