Issue with every Contributed Libraries! Other ERROR and (Target VM failed to initialize)

Hi @teemee,

By renaming the two folders
D:\OneDrive…\Processing → D:\OneDrive…\Processing_bak
C:.…\Roaming\Processing → C:.…\Roaming\Processing_bak
processing thinks on start, that it is its first start and newly creates and setup the sketchbook folder structure and as well the preferences…

Ok! The issue is indeed based on the internationalization, resp. the thai named folder.
I was able to reproduce it by creating a portable processing4 installation which sketch folder points to (X:.…\OneDrive\เอกสาร\Processing). In general, processing can work with this path, ie. re-create sketchbook structure, load and save sketches, even install contributed libraries, but struggle on startup a sketch which uses the contributed library from that non utf-8 path. So, I running into the same issue you are describing, ie (Class not found).
On starting the sketch processing will create a java call which used paths like:
X:\...\OneDrive\??????\Processing\
means, it runs into trouble to interpret the path correct for thai characters.

I also searched jdk bugs history and it looks like that it is a long time issue since jdk11, but seems finally fixed by jdk19.
https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8272352
Nevertheless, processing4 is based on jdk17, though.

So only quick solution I see, is to set the sketchbook Path to a utf-8 conform path, like.
X:.…OneDrive\Processing.

Cheers
— mnse

PS: You should report an issue on processing github here .

2 Likes