I am in a bit of a bind and wanted to see if anyone else ran into this problem.
When I publish sketches from processing (3.4 or Alpha) as exported applications, the process goes ok. But when I try and open the new application on my Macbook, the application quits immediately.
I’ve looked into a few a things already:
- The sketch runs fine, so I know it’s not a frameRate issue
- I have not notarized the sketch via the new apple system (is this a must?), but I’ve read a few threads about it.
- This is from the error log for apple:
Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBDISPATCH: Assertion failed: Block was expected to execute on queue [com.apple.main-thread]
- This is the error that I see when I right click the application → go to contents → mac folder → double click/try and run the application (this log appears in terminal)
A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
SIGILL (0x4) at pc=0x00007fff2018e25d, pid=12439, tid=18947
JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK-11.0.11+9 (11.0.11+9) (build 11.0.11+9)
Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK-11.0.11+9 (11.0.11+9, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, bsd-amd64)
C [libdispatch.dylib+0x525d] _dispatch_assert_queue_fail+0x63
No core dump will be written. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try “ulimit -c unlimited” before starting Java again
Thanks for taking a the time to review!
Simple question but did you try to execute the command stated in the error ? :
ulimit -c unlimited
It should solve the problem.
Did you export with java embedded? I find this is more likely to work than if you don’t embed java.
Having said that, I only have experience with macOS Catalina (and Windows 10 )
Thanks for the tip @josephh . (great reminder to start with the simple and straight forward things) : I tried the ulimit -c unlimited, the file increase, but the application still crashes on play/opening.
@PhilHaw , Yup tried the Java Embed as well.
OK now seeing if it’s an issue with my version of java (13.0.1) … using homebrew to manage a version of java 8 and see if that helps…
I had to abandon attempting the different java versions for now or solving this issue – I need to spend a little bit more time updating my mac-book to do further testing…
My short term solution for now: use Mac’s Automator to build an “application” that opens terminal and runs processing-java to call the sketch:
- For presentation purposes I used fullScreen(); instead of calling presentation so I can deactivate the cursor
- Second : if I moved the processing application on Mac, I’ll need to reinstall the processing-java tools
Did you have any further luck? I’m trying to build a functional MacOS App out of a P3D sketch.
Would you mind sharing your Automator action/app?
Hi @philipplehmann , luck: yes and no.
Make sure to install Processing-Java - it’s in the processing IDE, under tools.
Once that’s done, you’ll need to find the file path to file you need to launch.
This is the reference I used for the commands: link. this took me a while to get right.
NOTE: if you move your PDE file, the script won’t work…and you’ll need update the PDE file path.
Now to the automator script…
- First I wrote a simple bash script saved to run the PDE application (with processing-java):
Because the new Mac Book used Zsh, I used this guide to create an alias of the processing java command, and called it something like custom_bash_script ( in reality it’s much shorter and something like arton).
- Make sure to test the script in terminal before moving onto the next bulleted item.
- Then I used this apple script as reference: link
My apple script went something like this…
tell application "Terminal"
do script "custom_bash_script "
The script above was put into a automator workflow… see reference here
- Under system preferences; users – I made login in automatic and under login items, I added my automator workflow (so it launches when the computer turns on)
Lastly, because I wanted to control the computer turning on and off every day on it’s own, I bought the software Mac Power Manager.
I guess I could have written a bash script for this too, but I wanted to make this as easy as possible to change later, by myself or others.
Sorry I didn’t share my exact app, as I created directly on the mac that’s now at the gallery… Nonetheless, I hope this helps and happy to answer more in depth questions.
Thanks for writing all these instructions
I’ll give it a go.