Easy animation (rookie question)

Hey guys,

I’m a very rookie at processing and something come up that I can not solve. I want to move a rect() pixel by pixel from left to right if the key ‘x’ is pressed.

My code looks like this so far:

color cl;
float x=200;
float y=200;
float x2=50;
float y2=50;
void setup(){
  size(800,800);
  cl = get(0,0);
}
void draw(){
  rect(x,y,x2,y2);
}
void keyPressed() {
     if (key == 'x') {

while(x2<100){
        x2++;
        x++;
      }

}
}

So the main problem is as you can see that the rectangle is not moving but a new wide one is drawn.

What should be the solution.?

2 Likes

Hey Jack! I think I know what your problem is. Basically, what you’re doing with x2++ is increasing the size of the rectangle, rather than moving it by one pixel at a time. This is because when using rect(1, 2, 3, 4) 1 is the x position of the top left hand corner of the rectangle, 2 is the y position of the top left hand corner of the rectangle, 3 is the width of the rectangle and 4 is the height of the rectangle. So x2++ is increasing the size of the rectangle rather than moving it. So basically you just need to remove x2++ and keep x++ as that is the x position of the rectangle and thus increasing it by using ++ will increase it by one pixel every time the key ‘x’ is pressed.

Here is the code:

color cl;
float x=200;
float y=200;
float x2=50;
float y2=50;

void setup() {
  size(800, 800);
  cl = get(0, 0);
  background(0);
}
void draw() {
  rect(x, y, x2, y2);
}
void keyPressed() {
  if (key == 'x') {
    x++;
  }
}

I also recommend using background() so that the rectangle doesn’t leave a ‘trail’ when it moves.

Also, what is the purpose of your while loop? Is it just to make sure that the rectangle does not move off the screen?

3 Likes