Class arrays for my game

Hey, i’m new to processing and programming in general and i’m trying to do a game where there are birds coming for each edge of the screen at random heights with different speeds. The problem with this is that when i try to use an array of that class with PShape involved(for the bird image) the program bugs out when i press the button to get to the game display. My main page looks something like this

Bird b[i]  = new Bird[20]();
PShape n;

void setup() {
  size(1280, 720);
  n = loadShape("piupiu.svg");
  for (int i=0; i<b.length; i++) {
    b[i] = new Bird();
  }
}

void draw() {
  background(0, 255, 0);
  menu();
  if (jogo==true) {
    display();
    b.show();
  }
}

My bird class:

class Bird {

float x1, x2;
  float xspeed = random(5, 10);
  PShape n;
  PVector v1, v2;

void show() {
    shape(n,50,60,60,60);
  }
}
1 Like

How exactly does it “bug out”? It should have an error popping up right below your code in a black rectangle.
Is there any? Can you copy it here?

P.S. When making a post, there’s a little button right above the text field that looks like </>
Please, when putting technical texts, select them and press this button to make them something like this, as otherwise the forum’s thing assumes your code is text and makes it fancier by replacing symbols and removing spacebars before things

NullPointerException

But if i do an array of rects lets say they all appear.

Uhh, there must be more to this error? There’s usually at least 10 lines, most of which start with the word “at”…

I don’t see anything wrong with the code you posted except that it refers to things that aren’t really in it - maybe the problem is in other parts of the code?

When that error happens, it should highlight the exact line of code where this error happened - what is that line?

shape(n,100,50,50,50);

Oh. I guess that’s only because of n since nothing else in this line of code could give an error.
And, you set n to loadShape(“piupiu.svg”), so it shouldn’t be null, so you shouldn’t get NullPointerException… Except if loadShape(“piupiu.svg”) fails.

Where is that file piupiu.svg? If it’s in your data path or sketch’s path, you might want to use n = loadShape(dataPath("piupiu.svg")); or n = loadShape(sketchPath("piupiu.svg")); instead.

It’s on the data folder of my sketch :confused: