Arduino Firmata wont register Arduino

Glad that it’s working! The reason is, AFAIK, “COM8” is the correct name for your Arduino but Arduino.list()[8] does not refer to the same port: the [8] is outside the bounds of the Arduino.list() array.

Phil.

1 Like

One feature (!) of the ch340 is when you use a different usb port the COM port is different. Other Arduino with FTDI chip keep the same port number in different usb sockets.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I wasn’t aware of that!

Phil.

TitonNikola
We are building what looks like the same ROV, but we will use ours to putz around the lakes around here. I really must be missing something, maybe someone can straighten me out here. We are communicating with the ROV using an ethernet cable down to a Mega mounted ethernet shield loaded with Firmata software… I see everyone using the serial port to communicate with the arduino, but the serial cable is only good for 30 ish feet. We need a cable length of 150 feet, hence the ethernet CAT5 cable. How do you use Processing to communicate with the Mega over internet? I tried all the combinations using arduino = new Arduino(this, “192.168.137.1”, 90), but processing returns with a trying to use a serial command to ethernet connection error, no matter how I juggle the code. It works with the serial port just fine, but I need Processing to arduino over ethernet coding. It is quite possible I am missing the boat here and serial is the way to go and Firmata does the rest, so if you can share your knowledge, I would appreciate that.

Hi @TitanNikola To get ethernet comms between processing and Arduino you need to put ethernet port on Ard (as you have done), then look at all the examples that come with that device. Play with them, find one that does something like what you want, then copy pieces of the example into your Processing and Ard sketches.

A different way to go is to use serial, but at a lower baud rate. Serial at 9600 is only specified to work up to 50 feet, but I’ve used it at 500 metres. You have 57600 in the first post, working to 30 feet. You could expect to double the length with each halving of the baud rate. Does that get it working with fast enough data transfer?

Then there’s blutooth, I’ve used it indoors but Google says it’s good to 100 metres outdoors. You need to get an HC05 module, connect it to one of the 3 extra serial ports on the Mega. It uses serial and replaces the cable.

And there are small radio modules, seen them, been meaning to try one day.

1 Like