All sketches heavily stuttering every 5-10 seconds

I have no idea what’s causing this, it doesn’t have anything to do with the code. Even the demo sketches are affected in exactly the same way. I’ve tried a clean java install and increasing available memory to 1024MB in the PDE, but that had no effect at all. My system should be able to handle these sketches without breaking a sweat, and has done so on in the past on the same version (3.4).

Does anyone know what could be causing this kind of behaviour? I’d really like a second opinion before resorting to a full system wipe.

What OS do you run?
What are your system specs?

Windows 10 64bit
AMD PhenomII X4 970
AMD Radeon R9 270X
8GB DDR3

Brainstorm:

Have you inspected your current processes with process utilities? Hopefully you don’t have bitcoin miner malware installed, but something else could be hitting your processor hard every few seconds – a syncing utility that has hung up, like Drive or Dropbox, video streaming, a hung Chrome tab running the background, etc…

Are you running an antivirus program? Does temporarily enabling / disabling it change the stuttering? If you reboot and run Processing without launching any other applications, does it stutter?

1 Like

Thanks for the help, but I’ve already tried all of that. No malicious processes running, the sketch still stutters running on a fresh boot, and antivirus doesn’t make a difference.

The weird thing is that it’s just processing that’s stuttering, nothing else. My C++ port of the sketch, resource intensive games, and even other java applications are running just fine. I’ve already done a clean install of both java and processing, but to no avail.

Is it a P2D / P3D sketch – that is, OpenGL? If so, you could try running a processing-intensive JAVA2D sketch to see if you get the same stuttering – that might narrow it down to something about Processing and the graphics card.

Edit – oh, I just saw you said demo sketches are similarly affected. Including all renderer types?

as far as i can tell the stutter is exclusive to 2d rendering. 3d demos like moveEye are running fine but my 2d sketch and very basic demos like mouse2d are stuttering.