Accessing an external camera

Hi, I am fairly new to processing and I want to be able to access an external camera in my processing sketch. It is a DSLR Nikon D5100. I am not able to find the necessary source for this anywhere. Can someone please help me with this?

3 Likes

https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D5100_EN.pdf ,

are you running USB and software already?

Capture NX 2: A complete photo editing package offering such features as white balance adjustment and color control points.

Camera Control Pro 2: Control the camera remotely from a computer and save photographs directly to the computer hard disk.

after transfer pictures use

or you want use it like a webCAM? ( even if possible / what a waste )

2 Likes

Yes, is there a way to know if a certain camera can do this? I work with Processing to live capture images/movies in certain ways and am trying to attach a better camera than the typical external “webcams”.

1 Like

I think currently there is no processing library that could control and download images from your camera direct.

Though if anyone was up for the challenge you can get the NIkon SDKs here
and the Canon SDKs here

3 Likes

If you have a command-line camera download utility then another option is that you can use launch() or exec() to call it from a Processing sketch.

2 Likes

Don’t tempt me down the rabbit hole :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Did you ever get anywhere with this problem. I have been trying to do the same thing. I came across the gphoto2 library that has hope. As yet I’m still none the wiser but would love to know how you got on and what your solution was for using the DSLR as a webcam,
One solution is software written in python called rtiacquire