Request for guidance:- Making 3D objects appear static on a webcam feed using arduino & an IMU:

That’s right. The variable rad is set to 80. The variable is then used as an argument to object – each of the six objects is +/-80 away along the x, y, or z axis, making a cube of boxes. If you change rad to 200, they get farther away. If you change it to 40, they get closer.

You will need to express your camera in three rotations operations around the axes – rotateX(), rotateY(), rotateZ() – or else, alternately, as a look-at with up-orientations, using camera(): camera() / Reference / Processing.org

If you want to convert quaternions to rotations, you could look at the example code in Shapes3D

The Shapes3D library uses quarternions to perform 3D rotations. The main class is called Rot which is effectively a quarterian by another name and is a port from the Apache maths project. This class provides many constructors for creating Rot objects which can be used for rotating PVector objects. Quarks Place

…or an old one-off class, which might need to be updated:

Hey, I remember having a lot of issues with Quaternions when I first started out, but then I foud a great C++ class after googling for a bit for one. I’ve decided to port it to Java so that it can be used with Processing. You can keep track of the quaternions explicitly, or if you’re lazy like me, you can just use a flavor of the rotate() function that I made at the bottom there. The original class was written by Laurent Schmalen and I just ported it over to fit in with Java.
Easy to use Quaternion class - Processing Forum

If you are a beginning programmer, notice that converting quaternions to rotations is advanced maths / code structures.

1 Like

Thanks @jeremydouglass!

Yep; I think this will take me some time! I understand trigonometry (well, the basics), and am now trying to learn / understand Euler angles. Some useful links I’ve found are:

I will review the example code in the Shapes3D library & see if I can figure it out.

I am using the Sparkfun BNO080 IMU, and they have a demo using Processing (which is how I discovered Processing!), available here:

They use the ToxiclibsSupport class, which also appears to be using Rot. I’m pasting the code for reference:

/**
 * <p>The ToxiclibsSupport class of the toxi.processing package provides various
 * shortcuts to directly use toxiclibs geometry datatypes with Processing style
 * drawing operations. Most of these are demonstrated in this example.</p>
 * <p>UPDATES:
 * <ul>
 * <li>2010-12-30: added sphere/cylinder resolution modulation</li>
 * </ul></p>
 */

/* 
 * Copyright (c) 2010 Karsten Schmidt
 * This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
 * version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/LGPL/2.1/
 * This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
 * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
 * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
 * Lesser General Public License for more details.
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
 * License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA
 */

import toxi.geom.*;
import toxi.geom.mesh.*;
import toxi.math.waves.*;
import toxi.processing.*;
import processing.serial.*;

String myString = null;
Serial myPort;  // The serial port

ToxiclibsSupport gfx;

boolean waitFlag = true;

void setup() {
  size(600,600,P3D);
  gfx=new ToxiclibsSupport(this);

background(255);
  noStroke();
  fill(200,200,200);

// Print a list of connected serial devices in the console
  printArray(Serial.list());
  // Depending on where your GridEYE falls on this list, you
  // may need to change Serial.list()[0] to a different number
  myPort = new Serial(this, Serial.list()[0], 9600);
  myPort.clear();
  // Throw out the first chunk in case we caught it in the 
  // middle of a frame
  myString = myPort.readStringUntil(13);
  myString = null;  
}

void draw() {

Quaternion RotQ = new Quaternion(1,0,0,0);
  float qMatrix[] = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0};
  PMatrix M1 = getMatrix();

// When there is a sizeable amount of data on the serial port
  // read everything up to the first linefeed
  if(myPort.available() > 30){
  myString = myPort.readStringUntil(13);

// generate an array of strings that contains each of the comma
  // separated values
  String inQuat[] = splitTokens(myString, ",");  

// build a Quaternion from inQuat[] array
  RotQ = new Quaternion(float(inQuat[0]), float(inQuat[1]),float(inQuat[2]),float(inQuat[3]));

RotQ.toMatrix4x4().toFloatArray(qMatrix);

M1.set(
  qMatrix[0], 
  qMatrix[1], 
  qMatrix[2], 
  qMatrix[3], 
  qMatrix[4], 
  qMatrix[5], 
  qMatrix[6], 
  qMatrix[7], 
  qMatrix[8], 
  qMatrix[9], 
  qMatrix[10], 
  qMatrix[11], 
  qMatrix[12], 
  qMatrix[13], 
  qMatrix[14], 
  qMatrix[15]
  );

AABB cube;

background(255);

// Set some mood lighting
  ambientLight(128, 128, 128);
  directionalLight(128, 128, 128, 0, 0, 1);
  lightFalloff(1, 0, 0);
  lightSpecular(0, 0, 0);

// Get to the middle of the screen
  translate(width/2,height/2,0);

// Do some rotates to get oriented "behind" the device
  rotateY(PI);
  rotateX(-PI/2);

// Apply the Matrix that we generated from our IMU Quaternion
  applyMatrix(M1);

// Draw the Cube from a 3D Bounding Box
  cube=new AABB(new Vec3D(0,0,0),new Vec3D(100,100,100));
  gfx.box(cube);
  }else{
    if(waitFlag){
    textSize(32);
    text("Waiting for quaternions to chew on...", 10, 30); 
    waitFlag = false;}
  }

}

I am assuming this is equivalent to the Rot function offered by the Shapes3D library. However, I am confused about the following:
a) If I understand the code correctly, the AABB cube used in the Sparkfun’s sketch is being rotated using matrix operations, as opposed to using the approach shared in your post 3 days ago. Is this similar to what’s being discussed in this thread:

where the poster wants to use matrix operations to rotate / control the box.

So I need to figure out how to adapt such an approach to rotating the “virtual sphere” that I’ll be embedding my objects in?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you use the matrix operations, yet another option is applyMatrix, as you are updating the built-in perspective matrix rather than a matrix representing an object – although it may be slow

https://processing.org/reference/applyMatrix_.html

1 Like

From what I can understand, Euler angles are simpler to work with compared to quaternions, and are less computationally expensive (though, I am running this on a powerful Windows PC, so I don’t know that it is such a big concern).

Since I am not going to be doing 90 degree movements in any direction, I don’t think I would need to worry about gimbal lock. So, based on the little I understand, would trying to get Euler angles from the IMU, and then use those to rotate the objects be simpler?

Thanks!

Not an expert, but I believe (?) a key thing for that approach would be that the Euler angle elements be intrinsic, rather than extrinsic – then they could be fed to rotateX / rotateY / rotateZ in order.

1 Like

my math is rusty, no idea what that means, please more words or a link?

1 Like

Sorry:

The three elemental rotations may be extrinsic (rotations about the axes xyz of the original coordinate system, which is assumed to remain motionless), or intrinsic (rotations about the axes of the rotating coordinate system XYZ , solidary with the moving body, which changes its orientation after each elemental rotation).

…Processing performs its three rotations intrinsically – each rotation operation is a modification of the previous matrix state from the point of view of that state.

…I think (?).

2 Likes

I have a lot to learn over the next few days, but will update this post. I think it’s possible to convert quaternions into Euler angles in Arduino itself, and use those.

What I’m trying to figure out now is the code necessary to rotate the objects based on the quaternion / Euler angles in processing. Basically, once I get the quaternion data into Processing, what’s the code I would need to rotate the 3D objects in the sketch. I am referring to the following threads for some insight, but would appreciate any pointers the folks here may have :slight_smile:

(in this one, they start with Euler angles direct from the sensor, then switch to converting the quaternions into Eulers.

Well, both Euler angles and quaternions have matrix representations. In the case of Euler angles, this is straight forward; Use three applymatrix for either 1. each of the 1-2-3 Euler angles or 2. the 3-1-3 Euler angles (whichever you prefer; They produce equivalent results).

In the case of quaternions, you’ll need a math module which lets you do matrix multiplications (quaternions of course has computational advantages over Euler angles in that you avoid gimbal lock).

2 Likes

Hello,

Good timing! I was just looking at this project the other day. I have Arduino\BNO055 sensor working as a handheld unit communicating using serial over Bluetooth to PC\Processing. I am working on “cleaning” up the serial code and adding handshaking.

Teaser:

UPDATE Yellow shape in center of video does not match shape on axes below because I had rotated device PI/2 on a new board; I need to correct this in software.

More to follow…

1 Like

Looking forward! Actually, was following your discussions on the other this thread.

Is this the project you are referring to?

So cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope some of this helps…

Arduino:

1. Sends quaternion data (X, Y, Z, W) to serial port as a string and terminates with a ‘/n’.
    I used the Adafruit library for this.

Processing:

1. Reads quaternion data and stores it in an array
    readQuatData(); // Stored in q[]

2. Convert quaternions to Euler angles
    quatToEuler_1(q, Euler);

3. Rotate
    rotateEuler();

4. Draw to canvas

I also displayed data to screen and axis of the BNO055, Euclidean formulas and Processing display to help me visualize all of this. The screen follows the orientation of my device!

Note:
I also had code to convert to rotate matrix from quaternions.
rotateMatrix();

This site was very useful:

//**************************************************************************************************
// Example #7 EuclideanSpace - Mathematics and Computing
//
// Can be tough to navigate!
//
// https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/index.htm
// https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/conversions/quaternionToEuler/index.htm
// http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/standards/index.htm
// https://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/geometry/rotations/index.htm

Once I defined my co-ordinate systems and mapped them I just had to piece it all together.
I had to make lots of notes and wrap my head around the different co-ordinate systems and mapping\converting them from one to another.
I wrote all of my own code with the exception of the working formulas from the website.

Some notes:

//**************************************************************************************************
// GLV Notes
// Things to consider:
// 1) Axis of device; in this case BNO055
//
// 2) Conversion of Quaternion to Euler
//
// 3) Convert from one coordinate system to another
//
// 4) Coordinate system of code used; this varies widely!  
//
// 4) Convert from device > world > display
//    BNO055 > Euclidian > Processing
// 
// Attempt to map BNO055 to Euclidean to Processing:

// B        E         P
// +X P/A   -Z R/B    +Z           
// +Y R/B   -X P/A    -X 
// +Z Y/H   +Y Y/H    -Y         
//
// Coordinate systems - GLV hand stitched
// 
// // 1) BNO055 (RHS) x, y, z: 
//                        
//                      +z         P       
//                       *        +x
//                       *       * 
//                       *     *
//                       *   *
//           R           * *
//          +y * * * * * *              
//     
// 2) Euclidean (RHS) x', y', z':   
//                         
//                       +y'(+z)    P
//                        *        -z'(+x)
//                        *       *      
//                        *     *
//                        *   *
//       R                * *
//      -x'(+y) * * * * * * 

// Processing (LHS) x", y", z":             using scale (1, 1, 1) default
//                             
//                       -y"        P  
//                        *        -z"  
//           R            * *
//          -x" * * * * * *
//
// Processing (RHS):                         using scale(1, 1, -1)
//                             
//                       -y"        P  
//                        *        z"  
//           R            * *
//          -x" * * * * * *
//
//
// Eucidean mapping:
//
// BNO055     QE        Processing
// X  att     Z att       Z att
// Y  roll    X roll      Y head
// Z  head    Y head      X roll

// Euclidean:
// Heading = rotation about y axis
// Attitude = rotation about z axis
// Bank = rotation about x axis
//
// Heading applied first
// Attitude applied second
// Bank applied last 

//****************************************************

After all was said and done I can go back and remap things differently one of these days.

2 Likes

Thanks @glv . I am going to give this a shot and share what I end up with!

So, just to make sure I am understanding this correcty, what this video demonstrates is the sphere rotating in sync with the rotation of the sensor; am I correct?

And to achieve this:
a) Pull in quaternion data from Arduino to Processing via serial (which I’ve done)
b) Store data in an array & convert to Euler (in Processing?)
c) Rotate the object based on the Euler data
d) Display / draw the object

Am I getting this right?

Thank you!

The screen images move in sync with device.

a) Great! Send the data received to the Processing canvas or console to visualize; this helps debugging in this step and after converting.
b) In Processing I used an array with 4 elements; you could have used 4 variables such as qx, qy, qz and qw unless you want to store data. I was using data received in real time.
The data I was receiving was in a string and I had to convert to floats.
I put these in another array euler[] to store yaw, pitch, roll.
c) Rotate in the correct order if using Euler angles. I used matrices later for this and was able to choose.
d) Draw.

I make it sound easier than it look! This took me a couple of weekends to really understand it.

Don’t worry about final orientation until last; this took some effort to get from co-ordinate system of device to co-ordinate system of the screen. I flipped the Z scale(1, 1, -1) but also had to change camera which complicated things; I will rework this for future.

The Euclidean site has some canned formulas and he does define his co-ordinate systems.

I also used functions and\or the keyboard to generate data for debugging and I can switch between incoming serial data and “local” data from keyboard or functions.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

On a humorous note…
The green spheres I used were generated in another project.
They used one of my other videos in this article:

as “an example of some of the content that might be in the second message” to aliens.
I took the data from the YouTube analytics for the video and mapped it on a sphere.
That was fun!

2 Likes

So the green spheres / markers on the sphere are IP address distributions? What did you map? :slight_smile:

I will provide a “bare bones” example of how to use some of the formulas from the Euclidean website with keyboard control for the community. :slight_smile:

More to follow later today…

2 Likes

I provided a separate topic to provide examples to community:

Enjoy the journey!

1 Like

The YouTube video had an Analytics > Geography section and has data for Geography (country) and “Views”, “Watch time” and other data. I got the geographic coordinates (lat and long) elsewhere and was able to plot these on a sphere.