Getting data from strain guages

hello guys… i am facing problem regarding processing 3…
we are doing final year project in which we are doing structural health monitoring by using strain guages. now being a civil engineer i am not capable of writing code in processing software to get data from ardunio with which strainguages are attached.
can u people help me to write code to recieve data from dtrain guages…

Hi. You want the arduino code? Isn’t it easier to search on the Arduino forum?
What are you using as hardware? A strain gauge in a quarter Wheatstone bridge formation with the HX711?

2 Likes

we will upload code of strain guage from arduino software to arduino chip and then want to receive output in processing software…
first of all we are doing it on small sacel using strain guage bf350 strain guage attached with steel rule… after gettting results…
then we wil perform it on large scale on real bridges…
so we need code of processing software to get data from these strain guages…

So how will the data be transferred? If you are going to install it on bridges you will need wifi at the least, or are you going to store it on SD and need this data to be displayed in sketch?

1 Like

There is a related topic from @shariqqureshi :

:slight_smile:

1 Like

You can‘t get Strain gauge Output as Input in Processing, because Processing doesn‘t read that, your Arduino does. What you can do is to get data (serial) from your Arduino into a Processing sketch.

Here‘s a link to how that is done :

https://forum.processing.org/one/topic/sending-data-from-arduino-to-processing-serially

——————

@glv i think he knows about that, since he‘s the one who posted that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@shariqqureshi

Here is a resource for you:

https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/lessons/serial-communication/interpreting-serial-data/

:slight_smile:

1 Like

That was for the benefit of the community assisting him with this topic.

Good catch! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the other post(and I hate people posting more posts about same subject), he said he had to show some work tomorrow at the meeting. So I think that kll’s help was sufficient Anyhow, a strange story for someone’s final year using such a cheap sensor. This will only work on a very flat polished surface attaching with the right glue. Even then data will come out very noisy.

2 Likes

What alternative would you suggest, to not have to use strain gauges? (I‘m asking, cause i‘m working with strain gauges on a project and i‘d be nice to know the possible alternatives :sweat_smile: )

1 Like

Thanks … for ur assistance… i will write code and if it shows some error then i will tell u…:blush::blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs::hugs:

I have posted 2 posts .in one post i have asked about the coding for strain gauge… and in the other post i asked about that if we are able to show the beam in processing as we apply load on it… so basically they are different topic.

And tomorrow is our progress meeting to show progress. This fyp is 1 year project … and first we are using cheap sensors to test it because its new field in civil engineering so we are starting from basics… ( Structural health monitoring). After that we will get expansive ones which have wifi facility and we will get alerts on mobiles…
:blush::blush: By the way thanks for ur help also… :hugs::hugs: You all are nice people…

1 Like

SHM often uses piezoelectric transducers for
measurement but also ultrasonic stress measurement can ne done…
But I think the art of the whole project is to know where to position the sensors, due to natural resonation, vehicle-induced vibration, environmental factors wind etc. But as he mentioned in his latest post, that it is about giving alarms on mobiles; if you take the threshold high enough, those cheaper sensors could be used. Along with that I would use the ESP 32 LoRa which has a wifi range of six kilometers.

2 Likes

We are also studying literature regarding the strain guages and other sensors used in ships and aeroplates for detection of cracks to relate them with our… In ships they are using optical strain guages…:hugs::hugs: We are looking all the available options their availability and also price… there are some systems that directly do shm but they are 4k to 5k dollars worth… That is too much for us…