GUI Builder for G4P not working with Processing 4 ### FIXED ###

I downloaded Processing 4.0 beta 7 and so far I really like it. However when I try to fire up the G4P tool it opens up and I get this Exception.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'int processing.app.Sketch.getCodeIndex(processing.app.SketchCode)'
	at g4p.tool.gui.GuiControl.codeCapture(Unknown Source)
	at g4p.tool.gui.GuiDesigner$2.windowActivated(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Window.java:2097)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(JFrame.java:298)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processEvent(Window.java:2044)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:5001)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2324)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2780)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4833)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1952)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:1070)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:566)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4882)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:773)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:722)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:716)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:399)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:746)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:744)
	at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:399)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:743)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.SentEvent.dispatch(SentEvent.java:75)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager$DefaultKeyboardFocusManagerSentEvent.dispatch(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:261)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.sendMessage(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:288)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:438)
	at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.SequencedEvent.dispatch(SequencedEvent.java:206)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:771)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: 'int processing.app.Sketch.getCodeIndex(processing.app.SketchCode)'
	at g4p.tool.gui.GuiControl.codeGeneration(Unknown Source)
	at g4p.tool.gui.GuiDesigner$2.windowDeactivated(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Window.java:2100)
	at java.desktop/javax.swing.JFrame.processWindowEvent(JFrame.java:298)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.processEvent(Window.java:2044)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:5001)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(KeyboardFocusManager.java:1952)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:1070)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:762)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager$DefaultKeyboardFocusManagerSentEvent.dispatch(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:261)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.sendMessage(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:288)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:543)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.java:438)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.SequencedEvent.dispatch(SequencedEvent.java:206)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:771)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Both the G4P library and tool are latest version. I also confirmed this tool works with Processing 3.5.4 on my computer. It"s probably a simple fix but I don’t know the answer.
Any help would be awesome!

I have not tested GUI Builder with Processing 4 so I don’t know if there is a simple fix, I believe there are significant changes in V4.

I am not sure when I will find the time to look at this problem but any fix would have to be compatible with Processing 3 before I release a new version.

@quark , thanks for your reply, I guess I will just keep using Processing 3 for the time being. One thing I forgot to mention is that sketches created with Processing 3 using the G4P tool run just fine in Processing 4 as shown in image.

So it appears that the library itself is fine there is just an issue with the tool.

Hi @quark, I know it has been a while, but is there a fix for this issue yet? I’ve done a bit of research and no one else seems to be having this issue…maybe my version of java? Both the library and the tool are latest versions.

I have just downloaded Processing 4.0.1 and I experienced the same exception so its not your setup.

I doubt that it is simple and I don’t know when I will have the time to find the solution as I am in the middle of a major new project.

I will investigate the problem when I can.

Thanks for the reminder :smile:

at g4p.tool.gui.GuiControl.codeCapture(Unknown Source)

OK so I have had a look at the problem and i thought I would let you know how things are progressing.

When I first looked at the stack trace it was obvious that the exception was caused because GUI Builder could not find the method Sketch.getCodeIndex(SketchCode), but GUI Builder has been using this method for the last 11 years since it was first released :interrobang:.

My first first thought was that Processing had made major source code changes to the PDE for V4 and I was in for a lot of work.

So the first thing to do was to look at the source code for the Sketch class and BINGO the method was still there but commented out (see lines 1771-1782) . All the other methods from V3 are there but not this one :disappointed:

Anyway I have raised an issue on the repository so hopefully I will find out more soon. :grinning:

Thanks @quark!! That was simple enough to fix. I don’t know if you tried this, but I simply downloaded the processing source code, uncommented the needed method and ran the code. Working great so far :smiley:

No I didn’t try it but its nice to know there is no other issue - thanks.

At least you can now use GUI Builder with P4 but we will have to wait until I here back from the Processing team and see if they are going to reinstate the method. :smile:

Please tell me the steps to fix this…

If anyone wants to help please, add a comment on the github issue I created.

A simple statement saying you want to be able to use GUI Builder with Processing 4 would help raise its profile.

I’m not quite sure what you want to fix, but if you just want to use G4P GUI with Processing 4, this is how I did it with the help of quark.

1. Download Processing4 source code
  2. Unzip and navigate to: processing4\processing4-main\app\src\processing\app\Sketch
  3. Open file in a text editor and uncomment lines 1771-1782
  4. Build processing4 source code according to directions outlined in: processing4\processing4-main\build\README

I hope this helps :upside_down_face:

Good news, Ben Fry has decided to restore the missing method for V4.0.2 so we just have to be patient :smile:

1 Like

Better news, I have modified the source code so the latest version of GUI Builder (4.4.2) works with Processing 4.0.1 and is backwardly compatible with V4.4.1

You can install this new version of GUI Builder from the Contributions manager in the PDE

2 Likes